Saturday 10 November 2007

On a Musician.

I love music. Its my escape, like alcohol or weed, whenever things start to overwhelm me, i just turn on my Linkin Park, or Three Days Grace, up full volume, close my eyes, and as the great Eminem said, i lose myself in the music.



It really does help. I'd have lost my mind by now if i didnt have my music.



So anyway, we (myself and kelvin) decided to start a band. This happened a while ago, with Monisha, but we've never actually met together and jammed or composed, so we're not officially a band yet (thats mainly due to one of the founding members rotting away in kelantan!). But we decided to prepare, in a casual way.





So i tried my hand at composing. I start, oh say, three months back? And the result hasnt been to bad. I've written five half songs, all of which arent really good (Nickelback is good.), but they're a start. Last night was a good night, i got up in the middle of my sleep and just ran to my guitar, trying to save the tune i had dreamt about. And i did, and enter song number 5!



Its called "Then You'll Know", and i think its my best one yet. I was very relieved when it hit me, i was worried i had hit something of a block.

Now i have my very own method! I wait for inspiration to hit me, casually humming tunes or strumming the guitar till something hits me. The key here is not to try too hard, it has to come naturally. And then i immediately record the original. Its not necessarily the best version, but if you dont save it then and there, you probably wont be able to emulate it later. And that is very frustrating.

Now usually when inspiration hits me, i'll write out part of the song only. The chorus and one verse only, maybe, sometimes just a tune alone. Then comes the hard work. I have to go through the song, make up lyrics to complete it, maybe a solo here and there, and review it over and over till it sounds right. I havent actually been able to put in such an effort yet, thats why i have so many half songs.


WEll, be glad you're reading this blog. You're witnessing the start of a great musical career, and if you leave a comment, maybe when i'm rich and famous, i'll lend you some money.


Or maybe not.

Screw Out.

No comments: